Kobe Bryant and Andrew Bynum combined to score 67 points on 26-39 shooting to lead the Los Angeles Lakers to a 113-108 win over the Los Angeles Clippers.
The Lakers outscored the Clippers in each of the first 3 quarters to build an 11 point lead. The Clippers rallied early in the 4th quarter, with Bryant and Bynum on the bench, to cut the deficit to 3, 92-89.
The Lakers briefly surrendered the lead in the closing minutes, before getting scores from Bryant and Ramon Sessions (16 points, 8 assists) to restore order and seal the win.
Bryant finished with 31 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists while Bynum tallied 36 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 blocks.
With the win, the Lakers (35-20) extend their division lead over the Clippers (32-22) by 2.5 games.
Quarterly Highlights and Observations:
1st Quarter Highlights:
- Blake Griffin just posterized Gasol, shake it off big man.
- Andrew Bynum is active early, scoring the Lakers 1st 6 points.
- Sessions with a 3, (shooting 50% from distance as a Laker).
- CP3 assists on 3 consecutive Clipper buckets.
- Kobe gets deep in the post, scores and draws the foul, Lakers 17-14.
- Kobe follows the post up with a top of the key jumper.
- Kobe en fuego! Lakers 28-24.
- Bynum misses an easy dunk, proceeds to hang on the rim.
- Kobe with 7 straight buckets, doing much of his work from the midpost.
- CP3 draws a shooting foul on Blake, shooting 3 FTs. Blake closes the quarter with 2 FTs of his own.
- After 1 qtr – Lakers 34 Clippers 29.
1st Quarter Observations:
- It’s the Kobe show early on, 16 points on 7-10 shooting.
- Sessions playing his typical balanced game with 3 pts, 3 reb, and 3 assists.
- Gasol is a bit of an afterthought with Bynum returning to the lineup.
- Lakers are controlling the tempo by feeding the post, attacking inside, and limiting turnovers.
2nd Quarter Highlights:
- Sessions with a hesitation move and burst fort the layup. Changing speeds, an underrated PG skill.
- Griffin has no confidence in his jumper, turns down an open shot for an awkward drive.
- McRoberts hit a jumper! That’s 2 games in a row.
- Pau Gasol with a smooth turnaround J over K-mart.
- Clippers smartly double Bryant in the midpost, forcing a bad pass to Blake (TO), Lakers 49-41.
- Caron Butler has scored the last 8 Clipper points.
- Kobe picking up where he left off, 18 points so far. A Butler/Kobe duel in the works?
- Butler scores again! 21 1st half points.
- Bynum seals Jordan in the post, another score.
- At Halftime – Lakers 61 Clippers 55.
2nd Quarter Observations:
- Both teams are allergic to defense tonight.
- Caron Butler has been the go-to man for the Clips, 23 1st half points.
- Kobe and Bynum with 18 and 17 points respectively.
- Lakers with 63 points on 56% shooting, 16 assists as a team.
- Lakers and Clippers have combined for only 4 TOs.
3rd Quarter Highlights:
- Sessions uses a Kobe pick to score on an easy layup down the middle of the lane.
- Sessions follows with another 3, off of a Kobe pick.
- Griffin just posterized Gasol again. Highlight #1 on SC tonight, even if it was an offensive foul. Clippers gaining ground.
- Bynum stems the tide, with a face-up jumper, 75-68 Lakers.
- CP3 doubles on Kobe, Kobe swings to Sessions, who penetrates and feeds Bynum for the bucket, and-1! That’s how you attack a double.
- Lakers starting to D up, great close by Bryant on Butler, forcing an errant pass.
- Kobe hits a wide open 3 off of a Sessions feed, Lakers 84-73.
- And that’s why you leave Griffin open, airballed a J.
- Foye closes the quarter with a 3.
- At the end of 3: Lakers 92 Clippers 81.
3rd Quarter Observations:
- Kobe and Bynum are dominating to the tune of 56 combined points on 22/34 shooting.
- Game is getting increasingly more physical since the latest Griffin poster.
- The Lakers D has stepped up (relatively speaking), limiting the clippers to 3-11 shooting to the end the 3rd qtr.
4th Quarter Highlights:
- Clippers with an 8-0 run to open the 4th, Lakers 92-89.
- Both Bynum and Bryant are sitting to start the quarter. Really?
- Bynum checks back in @10 minute mark, good call coach.
- Nick Young blows by MWP and dunks, 7 points in the quarter.
- Bynum hanging court, scores after a Bledsoe miss. Lakers 98-93.
- Gasol blocks Griffin, then forces him into a travel. Payback…sort of.
- CP3 iso’s Bynum, hits a pull-up J from the top of the key.
- Bynum schooling Jordan, another score from the post.
- CP3 iso’s Gasol, hits a short jumper. Paul taking over late by exploiting the Lakers D on switches.
- CP3 sets up Jordan with a short hook shot, Clippers lead 104-103.
- Bryant responds, Lakers re-gain lead 105-104.
- MWP picks CP3 clean, crucial TO down the stretch.
- Sessions uses a great pick set by Kobe to attack the baseline for the score, Lakers 108-104.
- Kobe with a cold blooded J over Foye, Lakers 110-106.
- Great switch by MWP on Paul, Lakers applying the finishing touches.
- Ball Game: Lakers 113 Clippers 108.
4th Quarter Observations:
- Led by CP3, Young, and Foye, the Clippers were able to make an early run with Bryant and Bynum on the bench.
- CP3 had success in forcing the Lakers bigs out to the perimeter on switches. Lakers corrected this later, shading MWP in his direction.
- Down the stretch, the Lakers were able to get points from Bynum, Sessions, and Kobe. Great to have a diverse attack to close the game.
- Nightly Notables:
- Kobe 31 pts, 5 reb, 6 ast
- Bynum 36 pts, 8 reb, 4 blk
- Sessions 16 pts, 6 reb, 8 ast